Hopkins Point is approximately one kilometer west of Dundee at the mouth of the Salmon River. It owes its name to James Hopkins, who settled there around 1850.
In 1879, Hopkins leased part of the land to Edwin Waggoner, who built a hotel.
In 1883, John Taillon (Tyo) became the owner of the Dundee hotel. Its only access was by water, so he built a wharf to allow the “Smallman” steamboats (the Smallman Bros. of Fort Covington used to run three “steamers” between Cornwall and Dundee) and other boats coming from the other side of the lake to dock there. Citizens from Fort Covington, Malone, and other American areas built cottages at Hopkins Point.
The hotel is no longer in existence (the building is now known as Halfway House Freight Forwarding), and Hopkins Point, a place so lively in the past, has become a quiet and bucolic holiday resort for those who own a cottage there.