The Saint-Anicet church and St. James Anglican church in Ormstown will be open to visitors on Sunday, September 11, as part of the Religious Heritage Days held annually by the Quebec Religious Heritage Council. This year marks the fifth edition of the event, which features 44 sites in the Montérégie including churches in Kahnawake, Chateauguay, and four locations in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield.
The church in Saint-Anicet will be open to visitors between 1 and 4 p.m. where members of the historical society will be on hand to provide presentations on the history and architecture of the church which was built in 1887. There will also be an array of photos to view, and different sections of the church to be explored.
The St. James Anglican church and cemetery in Ormstown will be open for visitors to walk through from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with members of the church present to answer any questions. The church was built by Hugh McKinnon in 1831.
Stained glass will be in the spotlight at the Musée de société des Deux-Rives (MUSO) in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, which is established in a former Anglican church. A workshop and cultural mediation activity led by artists from Valédar will take place on September 10, while a discussion on the art of modern stained glass will take place on September 11 with renowned artist and Saint-Chrysostome resident Detlef Gotzens.
The full program for the Religious Heritage Days taking place throughout the province is available online at: journeesdupatrimoinereligieux.ca. (SR)